A Trip to the Islands
You can rent a boat in Dubrovnik to go to the Elafiti Islands, consisting of thirteen isles. Dubrovnik’s city folk have their summer houses on Lopud, Kolocep and Sipan islands, attractive with their Renaissance era buildings. In Lopud, where the nature and the sea is also very nice, you can visit the botanical garden and socialize in the pretty cafés and restaurants.
Lokrum Island, very close to Dubrovnik, is another place worth seeing with its castle, its botanical garden full of peacocks, and an abandoned monastery. Through yacht charters in Dubrovnik, if you go a bit further north, you’ll reach Mljet, covered with pine forests. Stay here on this volcanic island one night, it has two salt lakes, a Benedictine Monastery from the twelfth century, and wonderful coves to swim. Korcula comes after Mljet, and also deserves time with its lovely medieval town center. In your boat holiday you can visit all around the island and the fishing village Lumbarda to the south… Lastovo Island, offshore Mljet and Korcula, will please you as it is relatively less developed, preserves its lush greenery and has a beautiful sea.
Notes from Dubrovnik:
- If you fancy seeing Dubrovnik through a bird’s eye, you can take the telpher to Mount Srd, of 412 meters.
- If you have time before you rent a boat, you can go to Ston, 54 kilometers from Dubrovnik, and take a walk at the Ston Wall. Built in the fourteenth century, this is the second longest defense wall of the world after the Great Wall of China.
- To the south of Dubrovnik’s city walls, you should see the Lovrijenac fortress, where a series of the Game of Thrones was set. 37 meters above the sea level, the fortress provides a spectacular panorama, and a venue for many concerts and other activities.
- Actually, there are many places around Dubrovnik that the Game of Thrones was shot. If you’re interested, you can join one of the Game of Thrones tours that you can easily find here.
- Banje Beach is the closest beach to the city, if you’d like to cool down during your trips in Dubrovnik before your boat holiday.
- 4 kilometers to the center, Lapad is just the place to take a good rest with its calm atmosphere and nice beaches. You can try the Copacabana, Cava and Uvala Bay beaches before or after you arrange with your yacht charter.